SMILE is coming to DALLAS!
LaserCare Eye Center is currently enrolling Dallas Fort Worth patients for the SMILE procedure for Laser Vision Correction.
If you’re interested in finding out if you are a SMILE laser vision correction candidate, please contact our office at 214.328.0444
What is SMILE?
SMILE stands for Small Incision Lenticule Extraction. This is a new type of Laser Vision Correction similar to LASIK or PRK.
The advantages of SMILE over LASIK include:
- Minimally Invasive: SMILE is a minimally invasive procedure because it is a flapless procedure. LASIK requires the creation of a thin corneal flap to correct vision. With the flap, there is a small risk of damaging the flap with trauma.
- Faster recovery: With SMILE there is no flap and patients can go back to their activities (makeup, swimming, gym, etc) much quicker than with LASIK. With LASIK, activities are restricted for as long as 2 weeks to allow the flap to heal. Without the flap SMILE patients can:
- RETURN TO MAKEUP FASTER
- RETURN TO GYM FASTER
- RETURN TO SWIMMING FASTER
- Accuracy: The FDA clinical trial for SMILE showed visual acuity results similar to LASIK.
The disadvantages of SMILE over LASIK include:
- Nearsighted patients only: Initially, the US FDA has only approved the Zeiss Visumax laser to perform SMILE with the correction or reduction of myopia. The device is not currently approved to correct farsightedness, but we expect that to change in the future; hopefully in 2018. LASIK is FDA approved for a large range of nearsightedness and farsightedness.
- Low Astigmatism only: The initial US FDA approval for the Zeiss Visumax laser to perform SMILE is limited to 0.5 Diopters of astigmatism or less. This is expected to change soon. LASIK is approved for mild to moderate amounts of Astigmatism.
Who is the ideal patient for SMILE?
- A patient with moderate to high nearsightedness and almost no astigmatism.
- An active patient who needs to return to their activities quickly.
- A patient with a risk of eye trauma: Police officer, Military, MMA fighters, Professional athletes, etc.
Who is LaserCare Eye Center, P.A?
LaserCare Eye Center is a LASIK and Cataract surgery practice with 3 offices in Irving, Southlake and Plano. It is owned by Sidney Gicheru, M.D. We have been a leader in bringing Lasers and other technologies for Eye Surgery to the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex. The devices include: Lensx Femtosecond laser for LASIK and Cataract surgery, ORA Aberrometry, Idesign LASIK, Restor TORIC lens implant, etc. We are also the practice that Bill Boothe, M.D. selected as the only Boothe Approved practice in Texas after he retired in 2015. Bill Boothe was reportedly at one time the highest volume LASIK surgeon in the world.
Who makes the ReLEx SMILE Vision Correction Laser?
The SMILE femtosecond laser is manufactured by Carl Zeiss Meditech. It has been used in 61 countries, over 500 clinics and more than half a million patients and is now available in the US. Lasercare Eye Center has the first ReLEx SMILE laser in Dallas Texas.