Dr. Sidney Gicheru - Dallas Ophthalmologist
Sidney Gicheru, M.D., the #LASIKBOSS, is a skilled and experienced Ophthalmologist Eye Doctor (Cataract and LASIK Eye Surgeon and Physician). He has specialized in LASIK and Lens-based Vision Correction Surgery since 2000. Dr. Gicheru is one of few Dallas area LASIK surgeons who has had LASIK performed on his own eyes.
Dr. Gicheru Surgical Experience
- LASIK Eye Surgery
- SMILE Eye Surgery
- ReLEx SMILE Eye Surgery (mini-LASIK)
- Laser Cataract Surgery
- Refractive Cataract surgery (including the TORIC, Panoptix Trifocal IOL, and ReSTOR multifocal lens implant).
Dr. Gicheru Medical Experience
Dr. Gicheru performs Comprehensive eye exams, as well as Laser treatments for Glaucoma and Diabetes in Irving, Southlake, Plano and surrounding areas of Dallas. Dr. Gicheru has had a long and distinguished career. He founded LaserCare Eye Center in 2000. He is American Board of Ophthalmology certified.
Dr. Sidney Gicheru Awards and Honors
- He is a 2012 graduate of the Leadership Development Program of the American Academy of Ophthalmology.
- Dr. Gicheru is a current committee member of the FDA Dermatologic and Ophthalmic Drugs Advisory Committee.
- He has held leadership positions in many Ophthalmology institutions, including the Texas Ophthalmological Association(Past President).
- World-renowned speaker. Dr. Gicheru has a love of teaching and helping the underserved. He has given lectures all over the world including the US, Africa, and China. For several years, our local medical school has awarded him an Outstanding Service Award for his work teaching young surgeons.
- He has volunteered his skills and time in Thailand, the Philippines, Kenya, South Africa, China, Japan, and Haiti.
Dr. Gicheru Training and Education
- Dr. Gicheru received his undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering and Pre-Medical studies from Southern Methodist University.
- He obtained his medical degree from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School.
- Thereafter he completed his Medical Internship at the prestigious Beth Israel Hospital/Harvard Medical School program. He went on to complete his Ophthalmology Residency at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center.
On a personal note, Dr. Gicheru was born in Superior, Wisconsin. He has lived in the Dallas metroplex for over 30 years. He is married with 2 children. For recreation, he enjoys long-distance running, cycling, swimming, world travel, and electronic gadgetry.
Dr. Boothe and Dr. Gicheru Alliance
Dr. Bill Boothe was one of the pioneers of LASIK in the Dallas Fort Worth. Over 30 years, he reports that he performed over 150,000 LASIK procedures. At one time, this qualified him as the busiest LASIK surgeon in the world. On May 1st, 2015, William A. Boothe, M.D. retired and closed his practice. When he needed to find a practice to refer his current patients and leave his medical records to, he chose Sidney Gicheru, M.D. at LaserCare Eye Center. On Dr. Boothe’s retirement, LaserCare Eye Center became the Custodian of Medical Records for Boothe Eye Care and Laser Center.
Below you can find out more information about any of our highly trained eye doctors.
Contact Sidney Gicheru, M.D.
440 West Lyndon B Johnson Freeway
Irving, TX 75063
Schedule a free consultation