Dry Eye Syndrome Dallas
Dry Eye Syndrome is a common cause of eye discomfort. At Lasercare Eye Center, we have a dedicated dry eye clinic where our team of experts can take the time to find an effective treatment plan for your dry eye syndrome.
Where do Tears Come From?
Tears are made by lacrimal glands. There are two types of lacrimal glands: one type produces tears at a steady rate and is responsible for normal eye lubrication. Another type produces large quantities of tears in response to eye irritation or emotions (ie. crying). Tears are drained from the eye via small openings in the eyelids (puncta) into the Naso-lacrimal duct.
What is the Cause for Dry Eye Syndrome?
Dry eyes occur when the lacrimal glands do not produce enough tears, the tears evaporate too quickly or the naso-lacrimal duct drains tears too efficiently. Certain medications can also cause dry eyes. Autoimmune disease such as Sjorgrens syndrome can also cause dry
What are the Symptoms of Dry Eye Syndrome?
- Eye dryness or heaviness that worsens as the day goes by
- Stinging or burning eyes
- Excessive eye irritation from smoke or wind
- Stringy mucus in or around the eyes
- Difficulty wearing contact lenses.
- Excessive tearing (occurs reflexibly)
Why does Dry Eye Syndrome Cause Tearing?
Excess tearing from “dry eye” sounds illogical, but if the tears responsible for maintenance lubrication do not keep the eye wet enough, the eye becomes irritated. When the eye is irritated, the lacrimal gland produces a large volume of tears that overwhelm the tear drainage system. These excess tears then overflow from your eye.
What are the Treatment Options?
- Artificial tears: these are over the counter eye drops that mimic tears and are used for regular eye lubrication.
- BlephEX: Think of it as a deep cleanse of your eyelids.
- Punctal Plug Placement: these are small silicone or collagen plugs that plug the drainage pathway for tears and allow you to hold onto more tears. The procedure is performed in the office and takes only a few minutes.
- ReSTASIS oph. solution: this is a prescription eye drop used to increase the production of tears.
- Also, be mindful of your surroundings. Do not point fans or air conditioning vents toward your face, and wear eye protection in windy or dusty environments.
Cost and Payment Options
During your initial consultation at our office, our team can let you know what the expected cost of your dry eye syndrome treatment in Dallas will be. Cost will be determined by the type of treatment used and other factors. Our team can let you know if you care will be covered by insurance and can go over the payment and financing options available to you.
Schedule a Consultation
If you are suffering from dry eye syndrome, contact Lasercare Eye Center today to schedule a consultation. We have a dedicated dry eye clinic where our specialist will take the time to properly diagnose your condition in order to determine the treatment option that will provide you with the best possible results.
Schedule a free consultation