Vision Options For Ages 55+ Dallas
Vision changes as we age. At LaserCare Eye Center, we offer our patients options for Vision Correction to reduce dependence on glasses. No option is perfect in every way, perfect for every age or perfect for every patient. Our Doctors and our staff will team up with you to find the best option. For more information about any of the procedures, please click on the hyperlinks below.
Vision Landscape for ages 55+: Vision continues to change. Near vision problems continue to worsen gradually. Cataracts become more dense and start to degrade vision. As this progresses, night vision, reading and distance vision begin to worsen.
Clear Lens Exchange : For patients over age 55 who desire lens-based Vision Correction and do not want to wait until Cataract surgery is covered by insurance, Clear Lens Exchange is an option. The surgery is the same as Cataract surgery, except a Clear lens (instead of a Cloudy Cataract) is removed. This surgery is never covered by insurance. It is considered a Refractive Surgery and involves the use of Specialty lens implants and/or Laser technology. For more options, see Refractive Cataract Surgery below.
Cataract surgery : Once cataracts negatively affect vision and impact your lifestyle, Cataract surgery is covered by insurance. Specialty lenses can be used to correction vision. We offer 2 flavors of Cataract surgery:
- Refractive Cataract Surgery : In addition to cataract removal, specialty lens implants or laser technology is used to correct vision with a goal to reduce dependence on glasses. While insurance companies do cover Cataract surgery, the steps and technology used to correction vision are never covered by insurance.
- ReSTOR : This lens uses diffractive technology to correct vision for near, computer distance and far distance vision. Some patients may notice rings in their vision in the early post-op period.
- ReSTOR TORIC: This lens is similar to the ReSTOR, but it also corrects low levels of astigmatism.
- Crystalens : This lens flexes to correction vision for distance and computer distance vision. Most patients require reading glasses unless one eye is left a little blurry in the distance to allow reading.
- Trulign: Similar to the Crystalens, but it also corrects low levels of astigmatism.
- TORIC lens : These lenses correct astigmatism at the time of Cataract surgery.
- Laser Cataract Surgery : A special femto-second laser is used to either correct astigmatism or assist with some steps of Cataract surgery.
- Standard Cataract Surgery: This is a basic Cataract surgery that involves placement of a standard monofocal lens implant. These lenses do not correct astigmatism and are not capable to correcting vision at multiple distances. The goal is simply to remove the cataract and thus the expectation is that glasses(bifocals, trifocals, etc) will be required to optimize vision after surgery. This surgery is covered by insurance with the exception of the usual out of pocket costs.
LASIK : This quick 2-step Laser procedure can be used to correct vision, even in patients over age 55. Typically, vision will be limited by Cataracts and Presbyopia. Visual recovery is extremely quick for most patients. For some, this can be a cost-effective way to correct vision until Cataract surgery is needed.
PRK : This quick 1-step Laser procedure can be used to correct vision, even in patients over age 55. Like LASIK, this can prove to be a cost-effective way to Correct vision until Cataract surgery is needed. PRK is ideal for patients over age 55 because it is less likely to cause Dry Eyes. Compared to LASIK, vision recovery is slower (weeks to months). For more information, click here.
Financing : We offer financing options and all you have to choose is either 0% interest or a very low monthly payment**. For more information, please call 214-574-9600 or email contact us for more information.
*LASIK, PRK, Refractive Cataract Surgery and Clear Lens Exchange are considered Refractive procedures and are never covered by insurance. **Finance options subject to approved credit.